When you are picking out your costume there are a few things that you want to keep in mind!
- Always wear something that you are going to be comfortable in and that fits you correctly! If a mask is too big or small on your face it could block your vision. You also want to make sure you costume isn’t too baggy or long or you could trip over it and fall.
- If your costume involves and sort of prop like a sword, knife, or other type of accessory you should make sure it is made out of soft and flexible material. You also want to be aware of where it is at all times so you don’t hit someone else with it.
- Halloween is known for having candles along stairs and inside pumpkins so, it’s a good idea to make sure your costume is flame-resistant. Just in case!
- Some costumes aren’t complete without a little bit of face paint or makeup. Be sure to test any products on a small part of your skin to make sure you’re not allergic. Also, make sure you wash it all off before you go to bed. You don’t want it to get into your eyes or on your pillow!
- A decorative contact lens can look really cool but it can also be very dangerous. We recommend you leave these out of your costume this Halloween.
To most kids, the best part of Halloween is all the candy they get! Here are a few things to remember when it comes to these tasty treats!
- Avoid eating homemade treats from people you don’t know! Stick to candies and treats that have been factory wrapped instead.
- Be sure to examine all your candy to make sure it hasn’t been tampered with. It’s best to throw away anything that has been opened or tampered with in any way.
- Sometimes as you go along trick-or-treating you sneak a few candies. Remember to limit how much you eat in one night so you don’t make yourself sick!
Halloween tradition is to wait until it’s dark to start your trick-or-treating but sometimes that makes it harder for everyone to be seen! Here are a few tips to keep safe while being out at night!
- Use flashlights! This will help other people and drivers see that there is someone there. They even make fun Halloween-themed flashlights that your kids could carry!
- Reflective tape can be a great addition to costumes! If not a part of the costume then has some on shoes or trick-or-treating bags!
- Try and stay off of the streets when possible. Instead, use sidewalks or lawns.
- It’s also a great idea to walk in groups instead of just one or two people. This way you are most likely to be seen!
- Always walk… don’t run!
- Finally, be aware of your surroundings!
Halloween is always a fun holiday to celebrate! Especially for the kids who go out trick-or-treating. By following these tips you and your family can be that much safer!