Personal injury law is an umbrella term for a wide variety of injuries, including car and motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, dog bites, defective products, slip and falls, and more. Whether you were injured in a car wreck, slipped on a poorly maintained floor, or were hurt when a product malfunctioned, the physical consequences can be tough to deal with – so can the financial impacts as you contend with lost wages, medical bills, ongoing treatment, and other concerns. This is why people take legal action. But what are the odds of winning a personal injury lawsuit?
The Odds of Winning a Personal Injury Lawsuit
Will you be successful if you file a lawsuit? This is a complex question – but it is essential that you explore the issue before you decide on any legal avenue. But, before you take any step, consider the following:
- Was your accident caused by the negligence, recklessness, or carelessness of another party?
- Did injury and/or damages result from that negligence, recklessness, or carelessness?
- Is there an at-fault party that can pay damages?
If you are not sure that you have grounds to file a lawsuit, consult with the LaBovick Law Group immediately. Our team is comprised of the most experienced, skilled personal injury attorneys in West Palm Beach. We are on your side; we will help you answer these questions and determine the best next steps.
Now, back to the big question: what are the chances of winning your case? According to US government statistics, 95% of personal injury cases are settled pretrial. Of the 5% of cases that do go to trial, 90% of plaintiffs (i.e., those bringing the case) lose. One more fact to consider: if your case does go to trial and wins, you are more likely to receive more compensation from a judge than from a jury.
This is enough to give anyone pause as they consider filing a personal injury lawsuit. Is it worth it?
Before you answer that question, think about this: one of the biggest reasons that so many cases are settled pretrial is that one or both parties do not want a trial to drag out over the course of months or years. If you’ve suffered an injury, oftentimes, you cannot afford to wait that long for compensation to help you cover the costs incurred, especially if you lost your job and are coping with a mountain of bills.
Pretrial and trial processes also demand a significant investment in resources. If there is a criminal offense, by contrast, the State has the resources to assign multiple law enforcement officers to work the case. When you’re “on your own,” trying to prove a personal injury case, there are typically far fewer resources at your disposal. It can take months to investigate the accident, interview witnesses, and examine the circumstances of the incident. Many people find this to be too burdensome.
Remember, though, the personal injury lawyers at the LaBovick Law Group work on a contingency basis: that is, we do not get paid unless and until you receive a settlement or judgement in your favor. While this may not alleviate short-term financial concerns, it does help knowing that legal fees are not among your worries at this time as you work towards long-term relief.
How Personal Injury Attorneys in West Palm Beach Can Help
- Pretrial negotiations are exceptionally important. Settling does not mean you have “lost.” Not by a long shot. It is vital that you do not accept an initial, low-ball settlement offer from an insurance company. They will often throw out a figure, hoping you will take it and go away. But doing so can be to your detriment: what if your injury worsens or you need further (expensive) treatment? That settlement, even if it seems attractive at first, will quickly dwindle.
- You need a top personal injury attorney on your side. What if the negotiation process does not yield the results you need? What if offers are unfair or unjust? Our attorneys discuss every offer with you and provide professional guidance in terms of next steps. If, together, we determine that a settlement offer is unacceptable, we are fully prepared to go to trial.
Our experienced personal injury attorneys in West Palm Beach will work with you, communicate with third-parties and insurance companies on your behalf, and negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement. As our track record demonstrates, we are not afraid to stand up against deep pockets in order to protect your rights – and ensure you receive the compensation you are owed.
The lawyers at the LaBovick Law Group also have extensive experience in the courtroom. We will build a compelling case, thoroughly researching the accident and calling upon expert witnesses (e.g., accident reconstruction specialists) as necessary. Our team is well-versed in appealing to judges and juries alike and presenting evidence in a clear, convincing manner. If we need to go to trial, rest assured, we are ready.
Whether the avenue that is best for your personal injury case is pretrial negotiations or courtroom representation, the LaBovick Law Group has the experience and expertise you need. The odds of winning a personal injury lawsuit are greater when you have skilled – and aggressive – representation. Contact us today for a complimentary consultation.